Why do companies send their best employees on international assignments? They send their best employees on international assignments to successfully launch new products or services abroad or expand their business in a new country or win the competition. Usually, these assignments are short-term projects but sometimes an ad hoc assignment can turn into long-term immigration for expats.
Start with selecting the right candidate, discussing the compensation and benefits, understanding the number of family members traveling along, applying for the required visas and work permits, planning relocation and orientation. All these activities require well-planned preparation and organization.
Typical reasons for an international assignment include the following:
- Intra-company transfer to fill the vacancy.
- Technology transfer to the client’s premises.
- Market research before setting up a subsidiary company.
- Introduction of a new product or service.
Once a candidate is chosen, the organization needs to secure the necessary visas and permits. Our experts will help you navigate through the requirements and processing times, as they vary by country.
All these topics should be covered before the assignment:
- Duration and location of the assignment.
- Expenses covered by the company (e.g., employee’s relocation, travel, housing, family relocation, car rent, local office, school costs, home travels, etc.).
- Salary, allowances or benefits offered.
- Employee’s duties and terms of the employment contract.
- Trial period or renewals.
Our experts will guide you through the whole process. WeHG will act as a legal employer on your behalf and will sponsor the necessary documents, visa and work permit (where applicable). We will draft a local employment contract and onboard your candidate in the country of the project.